Fail-Safe

1964 cold war drama

Rating: 17/20

Plot: American planes armed with two nuclear bombs each are heading for Moscow. Since it's all a mistake, the American war machine does everything it can to stop them. The Russians aren't too happy about the whole thing and threaten to send their newest weapon of mass destruction, a device called The Dickfart Machine, to retaliate. President Henry Fonda gets a gas mask.

Interesting that this was released so close to the release of Dr. Strangelove, even by the same studio. This is actually a whole lot like Strangelove, only without all the penis jokes. This movie gets all the little things right. There's some great dialogue delivered by great actors. I like Fonda as our president, but everybody in this was solid. There's a realism to the performances, and although I'm almost positive there are some plot holes or at least some far-fetched scenarios in this thing, the characters' calm tension sucks you in and makes it all seem plausible. I really like how this is shot, too. Close-ups and long shots used to show characters emotionally attached or distant from the unfolding dilemma; the lighting, or in most cases a lack of traditional movie lighting; sly camera work (I especially like how the camera moves from character to character during some exchanges); and a complete lack of music help add to the tension. This ends in a shocking way, driving home a point that remains relevant even after the Cold War. That the movie can be shocking despite keeping all the "action" off-screen is part of what makes it great. The focus is on the characters making impossibly tough decisions, deepening the drama and tragedy. I also like the goofiness and cheapness of the technology they were using. There was something about that green screen with all those little dots and triangles that helped make the whole thing terrifying. This really cool flick was recommended by Cory.

Two things I didn't really get though: the entire conversation between Walter Matthau's character and the woman he slaps and the bullfighting dream/reference to bullfighting dream that bookend the film. The latter, I suppose, I understand, but I'm not sure if I liked it very much.

3 comments:

l@rstonovich said...

some day we'll get our hands on dickfart technology. for some reason i read this book in HS, saw the move after that. now in my head I can't differentiate it and Strangelove. I'll definitely watch it again.

Shane said...

'Strangelove' is better (Cory doesn't agree) but both are pretty great. I guess I'd just rather chuckle at the deaths of millions of people.

cory said...

All of the intense performances in this are terrific and I'm glad you liked it (I felt bad because most of my recent ones weren't going over so well). I definately think the Earth would be a better place if the creator of the "dickfart" had never been born.
A 19 for me (and I do like it more than the great "Strangelove").