Lust, Caution

2007 glacier

Rating: 14/20

Plot: In Japanse-occupied Shanghai, future-whore Mai Tai Tai and her university drama student friends naively attempt to assassinate Mr. Yee, a important Japanese official. It doesn't work out so well, but a few years later, a guy recruits them to try again. Mai Tai Tai works to become first a friend of Yee's wife, then an occupant of his house, and finally his mistress. They do it, repeatedly and roughly, and the time soon arrives when the crazy kids can get a shot at their man.

I liked the last third of the movie a lot better than the first two-thirds, but it couldn't completely save this one. This was so deliberately paced, too deliberately paced, and it was really hard for me to focus for two and a half hours. Scenes were stretched so much that the minutia squeezed to the surface from their pores, and I'm sure Ang Lee thought the minutia was important for the audience to see, but I'm not completely sure that's the case. This movie could have been a lot shorter. Lee had the same problem with the overrated Brokeback Mountain and Crouching Tiger which both had scenes that were far too long, and his Incredible Hulk movie which was about two hours too long. I know the feelings between the two characters had to be given time to become believable, but I'm not really even sure they were all that believable. When the movie ended, I was convinced that the guy was a creep, albeit a creep with feelings (Tony Leung Chiu Wai who, I noticed after glancing at his filmography I've seen in a ton of movies, is very very good) but that the woman was nothing more than a materialistic whore. But maybe that was the point. I'm not the type of movie watcher who typically loses patience with slow-moving dramas, but I did lose patience with this one, and it's definitely a movie I respected more than I enjoyed.

6 comments:

cory said...

"materialistic whore"? What? She wasn't ever going for a ring. She was teetering on the edge of killing someone who was inside of her figuratively and emotionally, and the love it represented made her sacrifice herself and her values for a man. She never planned on keeping the ring, and she never gained anything else. I believe her tragic character is terrific.

I really liked this film. It did move deliberately, but all of the scenes showed off great acting, sets, and a beautiful score. I was never bored, the sex scenes were important and meaningful to show the tragic connection evolving (although they were also distracting), and the ending was shocking and powerful. A 17.

Shane said...

No, she wasn't ever "going for a ring," but it seemed like that was the tipping point, the point when she makes the decision to betray her pals and forget her ideals. Did I miss something about her never planning on keeping the ring?

I think the importance of the sex scenes could be argued, but I'm not going to do it. Like the rest of the movie, the sex scenes (especially the second one [?] when I turned Sophie toward Jennifer and said [in my Sophie Buddy Hackett voice] "Gosh, Mommy...this guy must have a copy of the Kama Sutra or somethin'") went on far longer than they needed to.

I thought the woman (too lazy to look up her name) was just ok.

l@rstonovich said...

glad you liked it Cory, kind of cracks me up you, Shane think this one is a glacier, as that would describe the majority of his latest recommendations in my eyes... Exterminating Angel... hot damn! Anyway, I just want to add that I thought this was great to look at too, beautifully shot...

Shane said...

It did look very good. The period details were great. I didn't like the music though, something Cory mentioned as a plus. I thought the music was too flamboyant and felt it would have worked better with something a bit more minimalistic.

'Exterminating Angel' is an hour shorter. Glaciars last longer.

l@rstonovich said...

I think I remember that about the music... always prefer a subtle soundtrack... or Wes Anderson style, find a deep album cut Kinks song and show dudes walking or running in slow mo.

Did I mention Fantastic Mr. Fox? 17

Shane said...

I almost thought about seeing 'Mr. Fox' in the theater...love Anderson, love Dahl. I'll catch it on dvd.