Evil Dead 2

1987 greatest movie ever candidate

Rating: 20/20

Plot: Ash and his girlfriend accidentally unleash evil in a secluded cabin. The evil longs for their souls, and Ash has to fight against trees, anthropomorphized decor, zombie creatures, his dead girlfriend, a deer head, and his own hand in order to save his.

Question: Is there a better performance in the history of cinema than Bruce Campbell's here? I doubt it! Once this thing gets going, it stays going. Horror-comedy chaos, quotable, a disturbing (and impossible) amount of blood, ingenious special effects, a creative visual sense. This movie's got it all! The scenes that make me want to watch this over and over again: 1) the possessed hand, 2) the scene where everything in the room starts laughing at Bruce Campbell, 3) the woodshed transformation scene, 4) the scene where the evil thing is chasing Ash through the house, 5) almost every other scene in the movie, the exception being the scene where his dead girlfriend is dancing. No, that's brilliant, too! Evil Dead 2 also has a great ending, one that really makes the lame sequel even more disappointing. This movie is and will always be a religious experience.

There will be no comments for this movie because I don't want anybody wasting their time typing about how right I am.

4 comments:

Barry said...

Hahahahhaah.


I am glad you like this movie...I would give it a 15 or 16, but as someone who gives "Them" a 19 or 20, how can I complain about someone loving a fun movie like this so much.


Besides Bruce Campbell really is a great action hero.


Nice review.

Shane said...

I typed this very very late while playing in an online poker tournament. That's not an excuse and I stand by every word!

Oh, man! I meant to take away the comment option for this entry!

Unknown said...

Too late......we comment on everything out here. You cant stop it!!!!!


What did you think of Army of Darkness?

Shane said...

'Army' is very ehh. Only the scene that takes place in the windmill has that 'Evil Dead 2' feel. I liked the nod to Harryhausen with the skeletons, but as a whole, 'Army of Darkness' just didn't work.

Would I see an 'Evil Dead 4'? Hell yeah!