A Simple Plan

1998 drama

Rating: 14/20

Plot: Three of the dumbest men in history stumble upon the wreckage of a plane and a bag containing over four million dollars. They all could use the money and make a simple plan because, although they're three of the dumbest men in history, they realize that if they come up with a complicated plan, the movie's title wouldn't make any sense. That simple plan, essentially just keeping their mouths shut and being patient, doesn't work out, and things turn tragic. Oh, snap!

My favorite thing about this movie: There are four puppeteers listed in the end credits. I didn't even realize the movie had puppets, but this confirms my belief that Billy Bob Thornton isn't actually a human being. This film's a mixed bag. It's almost like somebody got their hands on a lost, never-filmed Three Stooges script, decided it needed a lot of blood, and filmed the thing. The trio are stupid, unbelievably stupid, so stupid that nothing they seem to do, no decision that they make, seems natural or realistic. At one point, Bill "I Might As Well Be Nic Cage" Paxton's character's wife (Bridget Fonda, doing her best to channel Holly Hunter) says, "Nobody'd ever believe that you'd be capable of doing what you've done." And she's right. I just had trouble buying what they were selling with these characters. Part of the problem was that I didn't think the acting was great. Bill Paxton seemed bored with his character, and Billy Bob Thornton seemed to be playing a caricature rather than a real person, almost like he was doing sketch comedy instead of a movie. Having said all that, I did find it all entertaining enough. I like Raimi's direction and, despite multifarious flaws, the story's told competently enough. As the characters tiptoe on the edge of disaster, Raimi tiptoes back and forth from tragedy and dark comedy. There's little flair, but there is an underlying sense of humor that I really like and a particularly Raimi-esque physics-defying moment that takes place in a kitchen that made me laugh. There are times when this flirts with greatness, but far too many times when it settles for a more color-by-numbers suspense story. It needed a moment, something to pull me into the drama so that I could accept the unbelievable turns of events. A Simple Plan succeeds as a movie that makes you wonder how you'd react as a normal person who found himself in a similar situation. What it doesn't do is sparkle.

Cory's recommendation.

13 comments:

c said...

I saw this in a theatre with Kelly when it came out and was stunned. I figured this was a risky pick, but I bought it all the way. I think these are flawed or dumb characters, but given who I deal with on a daily basis, I think these are more realistic than the ones normally portrayed. Their rationalizations and slow descent step-by-step into evil is fascinating, for me. There are many scenes of incredible tension, and the ever increasing tragedy of the situations is very powerful. I do wonder what most people would do if they found 4 million dollars. I do think the film is a little uneven and at times a little heavy-handed, but the cinamatography is beautiful, and I think the acting is better than you credit. I especially disagree with your criticism of Billy Bob Thornton. I think this is a great and nuanced performance, the best of his career. The scene where it has all become too much for him is one of my favorite acting scenes ever. A 19.

cory said...

My letters weirded out, so I couldn't say that I understand your 14, and thanks for giving this a try. Have you seen "Marathon Man"? If not, that can be your replacement. I'm still waiting for "... Totoro", but it has been "very long wait" on my Netflix for two weeks.

Barry said...

I enjoyed this film...I thought the dumbness of the lead characters was the lead characters was actually the whole point of the movie...what happens when really stupid people have to deal with something very complex.


I would give it a 17....its a good, but not great, movie.

Shane said...

Oh, I didn't necessarily think Billy Bob was bad or anything. Actually, I enjoyed watching him in this one. I'm not sure it was a terrific performance or anything though.

I've seen and liked 'Marathon Man'...

'Man Bites Dog'? Seen that one? I can't remember if I brought that up with you before or not.

Kairow said...

Ugh. I can't stand Paxxxxon. This is the reason it took me years to watch this movie, even though I usually enjoy Sammy Rammy films.

Unless Paxxxxon is saying, "Game over, man." I want him off my screen. It's also the reason I have not seen any of "Big Love", because I can't imagine even one person loving him, let alone three.

The acting was poor across the board. It felt like they confused simple people with simple minded. 12/20.

FYI: I have a Netflix Totoro at my house as we speak. We've had it since Monday and my son won't let me send it back. Sorry. (18/20)

cory said...

"Man Bites Dog", it is. Who knows, maybe I'll get it before "...Totoro" unless Kairow stops hoarding his copy (*_*).

You cracked me up, Kairow. "Game over, man" is the best said line in that very good movie. Hilarious.

Since you have seen "Marathon Man", I'll make your suspense replacement "Reversal of Fortune". If you have seen that then it will be 1945's "And Then There Were None". If you have seen that as well, then it will be "Hard Candy". If you have seen tha... I could go on all day.

Shane said...

I needed the heads-up with 'Hard Candy' a few days ago...I remember seeing that title on IFC as I was zipping through.

I love 'And Then There Were None'...that's a terrific movie.

Kairow, have you seen 'Drag Me to Hell' yet? Have you, Cory? The part of me that loves 'Evil Dead 2' loved that one.

'Reversal of Fortune' then.

Barry said...

Ha..I thought Hard Candy was pretty weak...but of course thats just one persons opinion.



Have you seen Thank You For Smoking? Its pretty good. A solid 15 or even 16.

Shane said...

Yeah, I thought 'Smoking' was ok.

I forgot to mention it, Cory, but 'Man Bites Dog' could almost get a subjective warning. I think it's brilliant, but I also think it's a risky pick...I'll be curious to read your thoughts though.

cory said...

So many things...

"Hard Candy" has been on IFC a lot lately, so I'll give you a heads up. I'm glad Barry doesn't like it as much so that it will bring down your expectations, and will make the suspense even more effective. As soon as it is on, it will become a replacement pick. Then I can have a few words with Barry (*_*).

I was surprised you have seen "And Then There Were None". I also love that one and was hoping to introduce it to you.

I have seen "Drag Me to Hell", but was underwhelmed. Being so over-the-top suited "Evil Dead 2", but "... Hell" had the potential to be a seriously great horror film. Also, I kind of hated the super predictable ending.

I hope that you like "Reversal of Fortune". It is one of my favorites.

I have seen "Thank You For Smoking", but thought it was a little smug and much less biting, effective, or memorable than it might have been. It had great potential as well and also gets a 14 from me.

I will be happy to give "Man Bites Dog" a shot. I am happy that the occasional negative reaction both ways to our "fives" has not affected it. Speaking of which, I haven't seen Larry on here for a while. I still need a replacement for "Dersu Uzala". Larry?

Shane said...

'Drag Me to Hell' was the most fun I've had with a movie in a long time...of course, I did watch 'Ghidrah' at school today on my big screen. That was also fun.

Larry owes me four movies! I can't find 'The Fifth Horseman' and I've watched everything else of his. I'll give him a nudge.

Barry said...

Drag Me To Hell was a bit of a disappointment to me. It was pretty predictable, and certainly not as fun as any of the Evil Dead movies. It was not bad, it just could not decide what it wanted to be. It was not scary, and not that funny...it was just sort of there.

Shane said...

'Drag Me' could easily be a case of a film just hitting me at the right time. I still can't believe that scene in the parking garage exists.