It's a Gift

1934 comedy

Rating: 16/20

Plot: A hen-pecked grocery store owner with a bulbous proboscis decides it's prudent to sell it all and move his wife and two kids to California to become orange orchardaires.

Add Tommy Bupp to the list of terrible child acting performances. Did directors tell all 1930s child actors, "Hey, in this scene, I want you to scrunch up your face and scream your lines," or did all children in the 1930s just act that way naturally, something to do with the Great Depression or something? I enjoyed this movie, but it suffers a bit from the same problem that every W.C. Fields movie--there's a flimsy plot, less a plot actually and more of an excuse to just string together some very funny scenes. Ultimately, it doesn't matter a bit because those scenes are very funny. The film's in ten-or-so minute chunks where a situation is set up so that funny stuff happens. Fields' Bissonette has difficulty shaving, locating kumquats and controlling a blind man, sleeping peacefully, getting his car started, and having a picnic. The genius of Fields in this is that the funny comes without overdoing things. It's a stark contrast to the supporting cast (although to be fair, the wife's hamminess is a necessity), Fields subtlety, comic timing, and delivery shining naturally. The one-liners sparkle and the visual gags surprise. It's a Gift is a joke movie, a written comedy, but there is a lot of visual humor, some, I'm positive, that I missed. This is definitely the type of comedy you have to watch and listen to closely. You won't want to miss anything. My favorite moment: "She walked right in front of the car."

Cory's recommendation.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Gee Shane, I thought you had died or something. Its been like nine days since your last movie...what you have a real life or something???? Shame on you.


Oh and I have never seen "Its a Gift" so I have no real comment at all.

cory said...

I'm glad you liked this, and I'm feeling guilty for tagging the Bresson movies. I watched some of this with Ashley, and she laughed thoughout the scene where he is trying to sleep below the child, which made me like the film even more. An 18, for me.

You have a comedy option already, so the replacement can be "Ghidrah, the Three Headed Monster", with a huge **subjective warning** attached.

Shane said...

Burymore--Softball coaching, the start of the baseball season (with me actually having cable this year), chess coaching, teaching the youth of America, Dylan and I watching the first season of '24'...I actually didn't watch a movie for a week!

Cory--It's so cool when the kids enjoy watching these old things. Has she seen Buster?

Now let me see what you did to poor Bresson...

cory said...

It is a great feeling that I love. They haven't seen any Keaton or Chaplin, but they have seen the climbing scenes in "Safety Last" and the boat scenes in "The Kid Brother". They really liked both. I may show them "The General" in the near future.

I'm curious about the so bad, almost good, but awful film. We do seem to have a different view on foreign films. You definitely like minimalism more than I do.

Shane said...

Hmm. I don't think our views on foreign films are drastically different. I can think of loads of foreign films that we both regard highly.

However, I can also think of loads of foreign films that I like a lot or love that you've not liked at all or haven't seen but I know you'd really hate (i.e. Marienbad)...I do tend to have a tolerance for minimalism, but I also really really like quirky. And quirky minimalism? Oh, my!

Definitely let me know how the girls like 'The General'...do you own 'Steamboat Bill Jr.'? Maybe they'd like the finale of that one.