The Wild Women of Wongo

1958 Girls Gone Wild precursor

Rating: 3/20

Plot: On an island named Wongo, you've got two tribes of folk--one with ugly men and beautiful women and the other with handsome men and ugly women--and some ape men. They're oblivious to the fact that other people are on the island until one of the handsome men arrives via raft to get help following an ape man attack. They're not very nice to him. Then a bunch of other stuff happens, very little that I actually understood.

The most surprising thing about the alliterative The Wild Women of Wongo is that somebody was credited as a "dialogue coach." I'm not sure exactly what a dialogue coach does, but it apparently doesn't have anything to do with making the dialogue more realistic or performed in a natural way. This isn't worth watching despite some amusing moments. Scenes are often punctuated with a smart-alecky parrot who says things like, "Uh oh! Here we go!" It almost made me feel like I was watching the movie with a little feathered buddy. I also liked how the movie began with a prelude narrated by Mother Nature. There's a wacky catfight with this weird canned cheering, some great special effects with crocodiles making a meal of some ape men (all who have identical screams), and a great scene with one of the wild women wrestling with what looked to be a dead crocodile. You also get an extended scene with the wild women dancing right after the woman at the temple turns into an alligator woman. Yes, that's as corny as it sounds. There's a great (SPOILER ALERT!) happy ending that involves more winking men than I figured I'd ever see in one movie. I sincerely hope that'll be a record that is never topped. I know I may have made this movie sound like a fantastic way to spend an evening, but don't be tempted. This really isn't worth your time no matter how much you enjoy wild women.

No comments: