Touching the Void

2003 documentary

Rating: 16/20

Plot: Two guys decide to get themselves involved in an old-fashioned Man vs. Nature conflict by attempting to climb a big snowy mountain in Peru. Then, they're surprised when Mother Nature kicks their asses. Oh no she didn't!

These might be the best reenactments I've ever seen. That doesn't exactly sound like high praise considering most reenactments you see are pretty crappy, but all the mountain climbing shots in this almost could have convinced me that it was actual footage from the boys' 1985 climb if I was a lot dumber. Harrowing stuff, and the actors/pro-climbers have to be given a ton of credit for being put into so many impossible situations. I like looking at mountains anyway (I'd rather look at 'em than climb 'em!), and there are some breathtaking shots all over this one. This is another great example of a story you already know the ending to since the climbers are both alive to share their story, but it still manages to be gripping. And there was a really good combination of the guys telling their own story with the reenactment stuff that helps you feel the dire, physically and mentally exhausting situations they find themselves in. This isn't just an action movie either. Sure the focus is on the ascent and the impossible survival, but there are parts of this where it almost threatens to turn into a psychological thriller or a philosophical treatise. My favorite part is when it almost turns into a Werner Herzog documentary near the end when Joe recalls not being able to get a vapid pop song out of his head. Cold and trippy.

This was recommended by Cory, amateur climber.

2 comments:

cory said...

I agree completely. One of the best compliments I can pay a movie is that when I come across it accidently while channel-flipping, I can't pull myself away. That happened a few days before I recommended this. The combination of setting, tension and a real liking for these two men make this one so good that I kind of forget it's a docudrama, as well. Even though you know how it ends, knowing how easily he could have been abandoned at any time makes it a real cliffhanger. I'm glad you liked it, and a 17 from me. Adventure replacement: "The Right Stuff".

Shane said...

Well, I've seen 'The Right Stuff' but I was like 11 or 12. I'll grab it soon.