Summer of Nicolas Cage Movie #7: Fast Times at Ridgemont High

1982 high school movie

Rating: 14/20 (Jen: 12/20)

Plot: Teenagers at the titular high school titillate each other, take some drugs, rebel against their teachers, get their priorities all wrong, knock each other up, make poor decisions, work toward their likely depressing futures, and masturbate.


This episodic look at high school in the eighties barely has Nicolas Cage in it at all. It is filled with a ton of colorful characters and their various misadventures. A few of those misadventures are interesting and/or meaningful, and unfortunately, a few of those characters are annoying. That's right, Sean Penn. I'm talking about you. I did like some of the interactions between his Spicoli and Mr. Hand though. This movie didn't make me laugh, and I didn't hit me on a nostalgic level since it's a bit before my high school time. As an artifact from the 1980s, it's maybe an above-average teen comedy, but if you're watching it only because you're a fan of Nicolas Cage, you're going to be really disappointed.

4 comments:

l@rstonovich said...

19. Nostalgia and Spicoli worship when I was a lad. Damone goes from cool to choad. Forrest Whittaker's best role ever! Eric Stolz siting. Phoebe Cates SITING!

Shane said...

That explains your hair during your Saturday Night Live cameo...

I reconsidered already and bumped this to a 14. I was in a stinky mood this afternoon.

l@rstonovich said...

yeah had to wait nearly a decade to grow the hair (catholic school regulations) and catch up to Spicoli.

cory said...

I was the perfect age to appreciate this (and Phoebe Cates!). I haven't seen it for a while, but think I would still love the humor and characters. For what it's worth, I think this is the best of the teen comedy/druggie-slacker/nude girls stepping-out-of-the-pool genre. A 17.