Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

2010 horror comedy

Rating: 13/20

Plot: The titular hillbillies go on holiday, getting away from whatever it is they do to retire to their crappy cabin in the woods. While trying to relax, a group of college kids mistake their goodwill for something more devious and decide to attack them. It turns out really bloody.

And pretty funny. In fact, the simple line "Are you OK?" got one of the biggest laughs from me in a long, long time. This movie contains my second favorite wood chipper scene either. The titular hillbillies are likable though Tyler Labine and Alan Tudyk play them awfully dipshitty. But the comic timing is perfect, and some of the lines are really clever. I'm fond of "He's heavy for half a guy," "He looks like he's gonna walk it off; he's gonna be fine," and my favorite as an English teacher, "Me and Tucker...I mean I and Tucker...Tucker and I brung you here." The college kids were annoying, and the Chad character really got in my way of completely enjoying what was going on even in the best parts of this movie. At around the 57 minute mark, things get a little tired. You really have to pay during the final third of the movie for the fast pace of the first two-thirds. Dale and Tucker also split up, and all the fun toying with movie cliches goes away as this turns into something predictable. Still, this is a fun and really splattery way to spend ninety minutes.

No comments: