Wet Hot American Summer

2001 comedy movie

Rating: 12/20

Plot: It's the summer of 1981, the last day at Camp Something-Rather.

Did people in 1981 use the word "douchebag" as an insult? I would have guessed late-90s for that one. This has a who's-who of funny famous people, and it is frequently pretty funny. It's episodic, great for the MTV generation, so if you don't like one of the threads (like Molly Shannon's arts-and-crafts-loving character's subplot), you don't have to suffer much. This is an example of a movie that is more fun than it's good. You have to wonder though--is a parody of the already-too-goofy summer camp movie genre really necessary? The conversations between David Hyde Pierce and Janeane Garofalo were the funniest parts of the movie, but I did like Christopher Meloni's Gene character. I did not recognize him, by the way. Oh, and look who else is in this movie--Bradley Cooper. I think I broke my record for most movies without Bradley Cooper before seeing this one.

Something really bothers me about Paul Rudd. I'm not saying that I want to fight him or anything, but I wouldn't have any problem fighting him if it became necessary. I'll even call him a douchebag right to his face.

2 comments:

Shane said...

I enjoy the name-calling. Especially if it's Paul Rudd doing the name-calling!

I'd comment more here, but I have 'Not Another Teen Movie' to watch!

cory...and proud of it said...

I can't imagine why someone who is calling "Wet Hot American Summer" brilliant would not declare their name proudly instead of using "Anonymous". We need more of his (her?) insightful comments.