Sound of Noise

2010 new favorite movie

Rating: 17/20

Plot: A group of percussion terrorists perform a musical composition in four movements. A detective, the tone-deaf brother of a famous conductor, tries to stop catch them.

I just stumbled upon this, found it to be one of the most joyous movie occasions in recent memory, and then discovered that they have some digital fame with something you probably need to find on Youtube called Music for One Apartment and Six Musicians, which is not only even better than this full-length feature but which realistically might be my favorite thing I have ever watched. Excuse the hyperbole, but it seemed like Scandinavia made this just for me. The music is exhilarating, starting with a short piece in a speeding van that led to fist-pumping and uncontrollable urination. The movements are as humorous as they are cleverly composed and wildly creative. The bits are funny. I loved the "Nobody move--this is a gig" stick-up with a metronome, and the titles of the movements (e.g. "Doctor Doctor, Gimme Gas in My Ass" made me smile. And one scene in which the detective Peter-Townsends a bunch of instruments was ridiculously beautiful. One gets the sense that nobody involved in the making of this gave a damn about the plot, one that is really pretty thin anyway, or the love story subplot but instead just wanted an excuse to use surgery patients, a bank, large clunky vehicles, and electric wires to make as much exquisite noise as humanly possible. There's a bit of satire here maybe--I'm remembering a naked painted man--but for the most part, this is silly fun--musical mayhem that would appeal to fans of those Stomp dudes or playful experimental music with a sliver of a love story and a police vs. terrorists conflict mixed in.

Seriously, if you don't want to take the chance with the full-length feature, take a gander at that Youtube video. And thank me later. Well, unless you've already seen it. Then, you owe me nothing.

9 comments:

l@rstonovich said...

wow. watched the you tube. killer. and what a looker the blonde is! and a mean egg beater and electric razor she plays!

my buddy donny late night txted me to watch "you, the living" i immediately checked the shane archive and saw you gave it an 18 and reviewed it twice! I'm on that!

Shane said...

Yeah, but you didn't like the other Roy Andersson movie very much. This one's got more vignettes than 'Songs from the Second Floor'...I just dig that guy's style so much.

Yeah, the gal member of the percussion terrorists is cute. I love how she holds that egg beater (mixer?) like it's the most important thing in the world.

Matt Snell said...

I saw the poster floating around on Netflix and thought this looked cool. Now I know it's a winner I'll check it out this week!

Matt Snell said...

I saw the poster floating around on Netflix and thought this looked cool. Now I know it's a winner I'll check it out this week!

Shane said...

Unless I'm guilty of over-inflation. I always get a little nervous when I'm taken seriously, especially when I'm being serious. Hope you like it!

Matt Snell said...

Nope, you were bang on. That was a very cool movie. (Here's hoping my comment doesn't post twice this time)

Shane said...

Whew.

That "whew" works for you liking the movie and for your comment only posting once.

Anonymous said...

Finally watched this. this is damn near a perfect movie. the drumoff when the drummers first get together was amazing. the woman and main guy wrote directed acted and performed all the music i find that incredible.
the plot was a bit thin. is it a love story? maybe i'm missing something in the dectives search for silence.

Shane said...

Yeah, a love story. It's a romantic comedy .