Fubar

2002 mockumentary

Rating: 15/20

Plot: A documentarian decides to chronicle the pointless misadventures of a pair of Canadian headbangers. One of them gets cancer.

First, there is a Zubaz sighting in this movie. I'm not even sure why I'm still linking to that company's website because they haven't given me a dime for my efforts. Obviously, they're not aware that my end-of-the-year post had nine readers.

This has a different feel from the sequel which, for whatever reason, I watched first. The other one doesn't even pretend to be a documentary. That leads to one flaw actually. While the work of the two leads Terry and Dean played by David Lawrence and Paul Spense are natural enough to maybe fool people that this whole thing is for real, Gordon Skilling's performance as the beleaguered director Farrel won't. He's pretty bad although a big surprise with that character later in the movie is so beautiful. Like the sequel, this has an improvisational feel that really works with an onslaught of funny lines. This would be oft-quoted by college kids if it was more well known, I bet. Of course, what do I know? It's not like I'm a prep school student in the 1950s or something. I also like minor details--some setting additions, duct tape use, a shot of a tattoo--that aren't thrown at the audience in a cheap or obvious way but are rewarding for viewers willing to pay enough attention. Funny movie.

No comments: