Small Town Murder Songs

2010 drama

Rating: 13/20

Plot: Walter, a cop with a violent past, investigates a murder. The suspect is the guy currently having sex with his old love interest.

Rapid fire--my attempt to catch up.

I watched this because Peter Stormare plays the lead, and I like that guy. He's good here, too, and he does it all with a mustache. He gets a sex scene where he's--of course--on top, a position that I'm going to refer to as The Stormare for the rest of my days. Or at least the rest of my days during which I can still perform sexually and be on top. Stormare's a good actor, and he's a good actor in this, too. He doesn't have much to work with though, and his accent gets in the way a little bit. And then there's a drooling issue. Jackie Burroughs--best known as Morag the Tulgah Witch in the Ewoks television show--plays a woman named Olive here, a character who might be mentally challenged. It's her last role. This plays like a character study rather than a murder mystery. In fact, the murder mystery part of this is so light that there's barely a story here at all. Pulsating neo-gospel tribal music and Biblical quoting muddles things and doesn't really add that much to the proceedings, and after this is all over, I had trouble finding the point. Stormare's performance saves this from being a complete waste of time

No comments: