Blue Jasmine


2013 Woody Allen movie

Rating: 15/20

Plot: The titular woman moves across the country to San Francisco to stay with her sister while trying to put her life back together after things don't work out all that well with her rich husband Alec Baldwin.

Why does Alec Baldwin take roles like this, by the way? People don't really like Alec Baldwin, do they? And then he takes on these characters that are completely impossible to like? Don't get me wrong; he's really believable as "unlikable guy" in everything, and he's fine here, too, even though he feels more like a prop. I also like Andrew Dice Clay although I thought he was dead for some reason, Louis C.K. although there's something out of place about him saying lines that other people have written for him to say, Peter Sarsgaard but only because he's got so many A's in his last name, and Bobby Cannavale although watching a guy like Bobby Cannavale right after watching Al Pacino in Dog's Day Afternoon makes Bobby Cannavale seem like total crap. But that's not his fault, and it's not Woody Allen's fault. Speaking of Woody Allen, I may have given this movie a bonus point just because I side with him in this whole child molestation thing. Not that I'm for child molestation or anything because I'm most definitely not. I just don't think the person who made Annie Hall could do something like that. Plus, Mia Farrow just looks kind of crazy and didn't, as far as I know make anything nearly as good as Annie Hall. I don't know if that's the kind of logic that a jury would be swayed by, but it's what I think. Back to Cannavale--his character Chili is probably the most likable character in the movie although he's got his flaws, too. No, I take that back. Max Casella, sort of a poor man's Joe Pesci, is likable as Chili's pal Eddie, a guy with a mustache. I didn't really think I was liking this movie at all, and it was even making me not like Frances Ha, a movie with an arguably similar character, as much. But it's good to see Cate Blanchett in something where her ears look somewhat normal, and her performance, one where she displays a very wide range of emotions in very subtle and realistic ways, draws you in. I also thought the flashback-ridden structure of this was a little gimmicky, but eventually I realized the story needs to be told in pieces like that since the central character is trying to put the pieces of her life back together. The end of this might be a little frustrating for some people, but I liked it.

7 comments:

cory said...

I really can't get on board with the strange logic you've applied in defending Allen. He's had a history of relationships with young girls and really creepy relationships with young girls. I don't think it's a subject that lends itself to glibness, but I'll move on.

This is a very well constructed rip-off of "A Streetcar Named Desire". It looks pretty and the acting in excellent, especially by Blanchett. I guess I relate to her Blanche more than I do Leigh in the '51 film, but that one had freakin' Marlon Brando redefining acting history, while this one is filled with unlikeable guys. A 16, I guess, but I can't see myself ever watching it again.

Shane said...

That's the second time you've accused me of being glib. Like, recently.

I am unaware of any history of inappropriate relationships or "really creepy relationships with young girls."

I think rip-off might be too harsh for this. It's more of a recontextualization or something.

cory said...

Understand I'm getting this off wikipedia because I am so lazy. He married a 16 year old, acoording to the LA Times had a relationship with a 17 year old when he was in his 40's and had possession of inappropriate photos of the 20 year old adopted daughter of his long-term girlfriend. The releationship began when he was 56 and she was 19. Rip-off is harsh since there is nothing wrong with a new take on a classic after all these years. If it makes you feel any better, I'll replace glib with inappropriate (*_*).

Shane said...

Are those breasts?

Shane said...

He married a 16-year-old when he was a 19-year-old. I'm not sure what the laws are or even where the marriage took place.

Stacey Nelkin dated him when she was 17 until she was 19, and he was in his 40's. I assume this was in New York where I believe the age of consent is 17. So while some might subjectively call it "creepy," it's nevertheless legal.

And the lewd photos where of a 20-year-old whom he later married and has been apparently happily married to for several years. When I'm 56, I doubt I'll find it appropriate to start a relationship with a person who is 19, nor will that 19-year-old think I'm rich enough to even waste her time with. Nor will Jen allow it. But still, it's legal. Creepy? To each his own...

But I wouldn't consider those in the same league as Dylan Farrow. Would you? She was 7 at the time when the alleged abuse took place. There's a big difference between 7-year-olds and 17-year-olds. Guys who abuse very young girls generally do so habitually. When has there been any accusations that Woody Allen has done anything inappropriate with a minor?

So I think that yes, I can give you creepy...I don't think any of it puts a dent in the guy's character, however, especially enough of one to make the leap to believing he's a child molester. Just my opinion as a guy who doesn't really know anybody involved.

Unknown said...

I can't believe I'm in a thread regarding child molestation...

I really just want to comment on how powerful Cate Blanchett and her ears were. Ok, not here ears; that was a cheap shot. But seriously, her eyes were driving a lot of her performance. She had a way of making them tear up with many emotions: frustration, exhaustion, happiness, sadness, bewilderment...She blew me away with her choices.

I'm always surprised at Woody Allen movies and how much I end up enjoying them. I never anticipate the next one. I always just sweep them under the rug until I run across one on TV and just watch it. I quickly get absorbed, and it's no exception here.

By the way, I like Alec Baldwin. I think he's a shithead sometimes, but we all can be. He doesn't have to be any standard-barer for me. He takes good roles and always makes them interesting. Yes, this one was sort of stock, but he did it well, no doubt about it. I like what you said about Louis C.K. saying other people's dialogue...it did feel foreign to think about him delivering lines from someone else instead of original stand-up.

The tension was perfect and the end was spot-on. I think unlikable protagonists are interesting as hell, and this was one for the books. Didn't she win an Oscar for this?

Shane said...

I don't mind seeing Alec Baldwin. Like all the other Baldwins, he's a total prick, but he chooses to be in a lot of interesting projects and has a sense of humor.

Yes, she won the Oscar (and Golden Globe) for this performance.