Bad Movie Club: The Terror of Tiny Town


1938 little person Western

Rating: 6/20 (Johnny: 2/20; Jeremy: 10/20; Fred: 14/20; Josh: .5/20; Jeremy: no rating; Libby: no rating; Ozzy: no rating)

Plot: I already wrote about this movie right here.

This was an impromptu Bad Movie Club get-together, and we watched a classic. I have to love a movie that seems like one of my random ideas. "Hey, how about this--a Western with a cast of little people!" There's no way I'd ever dream of pulling something like that off, of course, but I swear I have thoughts like that all the time. That Jed Buell and director Sam Newfield were able to make a dream of mine come true 35 years before my birth is really something. I don't really have anything to add to what I wrote before except with this viewing, I noticed and was enamored by a penguin that appears in one scene. It's almost like stock footage accidentally crashed the film or something. There are a bunch of little fellows in a barber shop, a song that probably isn't very good or intelligible, and a bunch of dialogue you can't understand, and then wham! Penguin. I'm not sure how the bird found its way into the titular town, but I bet it left embarrassed.

As some of you might recall, I named one of my End-of-Year awards after Billy Curtis. I'd seen this movie during this blog's first year, and at the end of the second year, made the mistake of thinking I'd given Curtis my "Midget of the Year" award. In his honor, I named it after him, and then discovered later that he didn't even win the thing. In fact, he's never won the damn thing! He's not even my favorite actor in the movie though. No, that's the tall, wrinkly guy. I'm not feeling motivated enough to figure out his name.

No, wait. Actually, my favorite one might have been the one who downed two giant glasses of booze. That, or there was some special effects trickery where they just showed him killing the same glass twice. If it's the latter, I definitely feel cheated.


No comments: