The Fundamentals of Caring


2016 dramedy

Rating: 12/20

Plot: Paul Rudd becomes a caregiver for a handicapped smart-ass, and the pair go on a road trip to see a giant hole.

Netflix is at it again! I gave this movie a shot only because Rob Burnett, longtime Letterman show and Ed (one of my favorite t.v. shows ever) producer, wrote and directed it. I'm also a sucker for movies where people play handicapped people. And no, I'm not really sure what to call handicapped people anymore. "Disabled" never sounds right to me because it makes it sound like a person is broken or something. What is the politically correct term now?

This could have been better, and it could have been worse. It's too predictable, seems too familiar, and ultimately feels a little pointless. It's quirky, but it's not quite quirky enough while the characters are likable without really being memorable. It's stuffed with cliches which might be exactly why the whole thing was almost oppressively pleasant.

I did like Craig Roberts as the handicapped kid. I'd really like to see him start making better career choices though. This wasn't a bad role for him, and at least he got to sit down while working. Well, until my favorite scene that I won't spoil for you.

There's product placement for Slim Jim all over the place in this. I actually felt a little embarrassed because there were times when this really did just kind of look like a commercial for meat snacks.

No comments: