American Made


2017 true-life action movie

Rating: 14/20

Plot: A bored pilot gets himself a new hobby.

Didn't care for all the stylistic choices in this, including a great effort to give this the feel of something from the late-70's or early-80's, but this effervescent stranger-than-fiction true life tale of Barry Seal and the Iran-Contra Affair is entertaining throughout. Doug Liman directs Tom Cruise again, and though it's not as original as Edge of Tomorrow, it's got a perfect mix of humor, action, and intrigue that makes it worth checking out. Tom Cruise is effortlessly charming and boyish as an anti-hero. Or maybe his charm isn't effortless. Maybe he really has to work on that. I just know my charm, similar to Cruise's in a lot of ways, comes effortlessly. But anyway, I really enjoy seeing Tom Cruise almost all of the time, and I don't think it's just because I find him sexually attractive.

What kind of name is Domhnall anyway? Although I'm sure Domhnall Gleeson was picked on as a child, I like him, too. And that's a good thing because it seems like he's in nearly every movie these days. I'm not sure why I typed that because he's not. He's in a reasonable amount of movies.

This is one of the entries that I've written for this blog.

No comments: