Sophie's Place


1986 avant-garde animation

Rating: 14/20

Plot: I don't think there is one.

The name Lawrence Jordan intrigued me when I stumbled upon a cartoon called Circus Savage that clocked in at 643 minutes. I thought I'd tackle something a little shorter before taking on that "stream-of-conscious" epic. Sophia is a reference to an "embodiment of spiritual wisdom," but I'm not sure what this thing is about. 77 minutes of this narrative-free animation--hand-painted cut-up stuff that sometimes looks like the type of animation used in Monty Python and is frequently very beautiful--was a lot to take, and I ended up watching this in installments. I couldn't make much sense of it and felt better when reading that Jordan apparently doesn't know what any of the symbols mean either. He calls this an "alchemical autobiography," and that doesn't sound pretentious at all.


I can't tell you what's going on there.

No comments: