Let's Scare Jessica to Death


1971 psychological horror

Rating: 15/20

Plot: Jessica, fresh from a mental institution, moves to a big house on an island with her husband and a friend with cool sideburns. A female drifter is already living there, however. Jessica either loses her mind or there are vampires.

With a dumb title, a shockingly silly poster, and the tagline "Something is after Jessica. Something very cold, very wet. . .and very dead," there's all sorts of misleading going on with this one. It's a slow-burn psychological thriller, and if scares are your thing, this might let you down. If a super-creepy vibe is what you're after, this will hit the spot.

This is really a more nuanced mentally-ill character study than it is a horror movie although there are some nearly-horrifying moments. I don't want to say much about any of those specific moments for two reasons. First, watching this one without spoilers is likely a more enjoyable experience. And second, I'm really feeling pretty lazy and don't want to write more than I have to.

Jessica is played by Zohra Lampert, and she's really good with this wild-eyed fragility.

A creepy location, creepy extras, these creepy disembodied voices, and a creepy score by somebody named Orville Stoeber contribute to make up for this terrible title. This was directed by John D. Hancock. I don't know him, but I want to see the his first movie, the short film that preceded this, just because it's called "Sticky My Fingers. . .Fleet My Feet." I like film titles with ellipses.

Oh, my God! Hancock directed Prancer!

No comments: