35 Shots of Rum


2008 movie

Rating: 15/20

Plot: No time for a plot synopsis at this time. I apologize for the inconvenience.

I had never seen a Claire Denis movie before but have an interest in her new one, a movie that puts Juliette Binoche in space. I really want to see if she's capable of acting without gravity and oxygen. So I figured I'd watching an earlier Denis film to get a feel for what she does.

What she does isn't much like how other filmmakers would cover the same types of subject matter, and it's a little jarring. It took me a long time to feel this movie's rhythms, but if Denis's other movies are like this, I think I'll end up appreciating what she does more and more. She throws these characters at us with little or no exposition and gives us a slice-of-life glimpse into their lives. This movie is so quiet, and on the surface, there's no real drama. At least there's no big movie drama going on. Below that surface, however, there are all these tiny earthquakes.

No comments: