Never Let Me Go


2010 sci-fi romance

Rating: 14/20

Plot: I don't feel like typing a plot synopsis out. I'm sorry.

Alex Garland wrote the screenplay based on a Kazuo Ishiguro novel. I think what I like about it is that nothing is explained to the audience. The movie throws you into this parallel dystopian world where the rules are very unclear. It creates a mysterious vibe where the audience knows just a little less than the characters who inhabit this world. The tone is stiff, not unlike a Yorgos Lanthimos movie.

Thematically, I'm not sure what to make about the whole thing. There's a lot of "soul" business in this, and there's a lot of dialogue that points to themes about "what it means to be human" or some philosophical bullshit like that. All sorts of clues are peppered in where these characters, especially when they're young, are just kind of playing at being human beings.

I liked the cast a lot. Andrew Garfield is jittery, and when he has to unleash a primal scream, he unleashes one hell of one. Kiera Knightley has this subtle rage or modicum of cruelty that she seems to wear on her face. Carey Mulligan is really good as the third member of this love triangle, her strength and despair so quietly delivered.

I don't know the director Mark Romanek and had to look him up. I guess I've seen every film he's ever made since he disowned his debut. It's just this and One Hour Photo, I guess. He makes a lot of music videos because apparently people still make those. There were some great shots in this of things like statues being rained on.

Sally Hawkins is in this.



No comments: