Barney's Version


2010 Canadian movie

Rating:15/20

Plot: About three decades of Barney's life as he marries three times and possibly murders somebody.

This might be the best I've seen Paul Giamatti even though he depends a little too much on grunting and various purring noises. That seems to be his deal. But there's a moment in this where he bursts into laughter that might be his best moment ever although I also like a great freak-out he has in this and a scene where he tries to peel a banana.

I just looked up what "boychik" means. My son is going into the Navy, and I'm proud of him. He tested really well (99th percentile) and is likely going to train to be a Navy beekeeper. At some point, I'm going to tell him, "Nice work, boychik." Can I say that to my son if I'm not Jewish?

Dustin Hoffman seems to still be trying in 2010 even though Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium had convinced me otherwise. He's best here at a dinner party where he clashes with one of Barney's wife's parents. Not understanding the word "gratuitously" and complimenting chicken both made me smile.

Lots made me smile in this tragic comedy actually. It's a story loosely told, one that bounces between time periods to tie in this halfassed murder mystery element. Barney's a flawed human being who you almost want to root for. At the very least, you really hope that he doesn't accidentally shoot himself in the leg with a gun he doesn't seem to know how to use. Sure, you're going to wonder how Paul Giamatti manages to seduce any woman, let alone Rachelle Lefevre, Minnie Driver, and Rosamund Pike, the latter who I didn't even know I was in love with until I saw her in that dress at the same time Giamatti's character did. The episodic nature skims along the surface of this character's life, and although it does feel like some of the individual episodes don't really complete, it does create a mosaic succeeding in helping the viewer understand and appreciate this guy and the flaws that make up who he is.

You know, I just thought about that scene where Dustin Hoffman is dancing on bubble wrap in Mr. Magorium and feel the need to apologize to both him and his fans. The guy's a prick though, so I'm not going to bother.

No comments: