Alex van Warmerdam Fest: The Last Days of Emma Blank


2009 dark comedy

Rating: 15/20

Plot: A woman's family waits for her to die so they can stop acting like her servants or, in one case, a dog.

One character, the one played by director Alex van Warmerdam, does spend the majority of this movie acting like a dog. He has to defecate outside and at one point humps the titular character. And it's times like this where I type words here and think, "What the hell am I doing with my life?"

This is the closest van Warmerdam movie I've seen to the original one I saw--Borgman. It feels allegorical like that one did, and it has a really cool house. Apparently, the house was specially built for this film because the script had specific references to a specific house in van Warmerdam's mind.

Lots of stand-out moments here, but my favorite is a simple one that features an almost magical skirt flip.

No comments: