The Killing of a Chinese Bookie


1976 crime movie

Rating: 16/20

Plot: A club owner tries to pay up some gambling debts.

It's tough for me to watch any movie with Ben Gazzara without imaging that scene in Lebowski where Jackie Treehorn doodles an enormous erection.

I always wonder if I'm appreciating a John Cassavetes movie as much as I'm supposed to. The grit fits with these characters whose stomping grounds seem like they could only exist in 1970's American movies. And I like this as a character study of Gazzara's character.

My favorite bits were the ones in the club, Crazy Horse West, emceed by Mr. Sophistication played by Meade Roberts.

I watched the longer version of this because that's what was available to me. A reputable source told me that the shorter edit is actually better. Is that true?

No comments: