RBG


2018 biographical documentary

Rating: 14/20 (Jen: No rating, saying "You don't do your blog anymore, so I don't have to rate movies anymore.")

Plot: The life and career of Ruth Bader Ginsberg, second female on the Supreme Court and all-around badass.

My wife's one-word review--"light." This is fine, a pop-documentary that has just the right amount of breeze and inspiration. This checks all the boxes it's supposed to. Silly archival footage (Trump's favorite show Saturday Night Live, etc.), obvious music (Beethoven's 7th alert!), and interview snippets from Ginsberg's family members, folks she'd represented, and colleagues move this zippily along. It succeeded in making me want a t-shirt, and if that was the intent, I guess it was effective.

Honestly, the whole thing made me a little sick. No amount of shots showing me how RBG works out is going to convince me that she's outliving Trump's presidency, and that terrifies me.

No comments: