The Night Strangler


1973 television movie sequel

Rating: 14/20

Plot: Following the vampire shenanigans in Las Vegas, disgraced reporter Carl Kolchak moves to Seattle and becomes involved in another wacky, possibly-supernatural murder mystery.

There are two things I failed to mention when writing about this movie's predecessor--The Night Stalker. First, I really dig the music. It's by Bob Cobert, and it really helps the action move in these things. Second, I really like Kolchak's wardrobe. That hat is enough to make him stand out all on its own, but his collection of suits are also perfect for this character. I can't pretend I'm an expert in men's fashion from the year I was born, but it seems like McGavin's just a little out of style here.

Speaking of McGavin, he gets more opportunities to scream at people in this one, and that probably enhances the experience. The conflict between law enforcement and journalism intensifies in this one, and if there had been a third movie, I imagine it would have involved McGavin biting somebody's face off. Maybe he does in the television series. I should watch that and find out.

McGavin is on top of things here, a few steps ahead of everybody else. Or at least a few steps ahead of where everybody would like to admit they are. He's sans his Las Vegas connections--the one he can get info from in exchange from a Whitman's sampler--and is forced to find new friends to work with. There's a lovely belly dancer played by Jo Ann Pflug. She's best, it should be noted, when she's belly dancing, her hips moving "just as fast as her mouth." The image almost makes me want to say something about how I wouldn't mind an opportunity to pflug her, but that doesn't sound like something I'd ever type. Other friends include Wally Cox, Margaret Hamilton, and Al Lewis as the "guardian of the secrets of Seattle buried in the morgue of the Daily Chronicle," a professor, and a tipsy underground dweller. Add in John Carradine, and you've got quite a fun cast here!

My two favorite characters: Joe Roberts, a guy singing "Blue Heaven," poorly; and Wilma Krankheimer, a character who scowls at McGavin as a kind of running gag.

There's some goofiness here (the killer screaming "Ahhh!" every time he attacks, a climax that is a little too convenient), but it's hard to complain about all that because this is fun little movie. The usage of Underground Seattle was inspired. That was really cool to see.

2 comments:

Cory said...

I am quite pleased that you watched these two movies. The Night Stalker tv series came out when I was ten years old and it had a huge impact on me. “Jaws”, “The Flintstones”, baseball cards, Tolkein, WWII history...things I discovered from ages10-13 have had an oversized pull ever since. I love these movies for all of the reasons you guessed. McGavin is perfect, and I regret never meeting him and making him mildly uncomfortable over my geeky love of this character. When you are ten, there is no such thing as bad narration, when it is cool. While the horror is mild through an adult’s eyes, I can still remember the thrills and scares from 45 years ago. Objectively, these are good movies, and I am very happy that you liked them, but for me, they are both a 20. I just love them. You should watch the series, if you get a chance. There were just 20 episodes, and while there is plenty of goofiness, they are all watchable, and two are truly great. It also has one of my favorite tv theme songs. Let me know if you start watching.

Shane said...

Right, I figured there was a nostalgic attachment of some kind for you. I would have been...well, zero years old when this was televised, so I don't have that kind of connection with it.

I am planning on checking out the series sometime. That sounds like a summer thing. I doubt I could get Jen on board for that one, and usually, we do our television viewing together.