Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

2007 blackly comic musical

Rating: 15/20

Plot: Edward Scissorhands grows tired of making it snow and crying over Winona Ryder stealing his heart. In this long-awaited sequel to the 1990 Tim Burton classic, Mr. Scissorhands changes his name and moves to the dark streets of London to escape his past. He makes friends with a woman who makes nearly inedible pies and makes enemies with Professor Snape and Borat. He tries his best to make a living as the world's worst barber and finds himself in a little bit of trouble after accidentally cutting a few people. They sing songs about it. "Whoops! I cut him again. My blade is too sharp, and I can't stop trembling. Now. . .my. . .sleeve. . .is. . .ruined! Oh no!"

Definitely Tim Burton's best movie since, well, probably Mars Attacks or Ed Wood which, considering almost everything he's done since then has been nearly unwatchable, isn't saying too much. My problems with Sweeney Todd actually have more to do with the songs than the direction though. The songs are a bit one-note which flatlines the movie as we wait for bloodshed. Burton's trademark texture and gothic sensibilities and usual collaborators are here. This might as well be a black and white movie. Well, black and red maybe. The acting's good, and I was especially impressed with that vocal chameleon Borat, here playing a nutty over-the-top Italian eccentric. Depp and Carter and company sing well enough, and the story, though seemingly ripped from any old classical tragedy, is intriguing. CGI London looks a little cartoonish, but it actually works since the action and violence and movements of the characters are also a little cartoonish. This didn't really look too much different than that boring Corpse Bride movie. I probably would have chopped a bit of the fat from this, but it was an enjoyable way to spend a couple hours.

I've never killed a person, but I have eaten one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved 'Ed Wood'. Did you like 'Corpse Bride' or 'Big Fish'? I enjoyed both more than this film. Everything is well executed and sylistically amazing but, as with many films by Burton, it lacks soul. Maybe I felt I deserved a happier ending and a more sympathetic lead after enduring two hours of carnage and unmemorable songs. Everyone involved proved that they can pull this sort of thing off. Too bad they didn't pull it off better. A 13.

Shane said...

Burton was my favorite director when I first started watching movies just because he did 'Edward Scissorhands' which was my favorite movie a long time ago. It makes me cry more than 'Babe' ever will...

But no, I didn't like 'Corpse Bride' or 'Big Fish'...both are a lot better than other recent Burton movies excluding this one which I seemed to like more than you but don't remember all that much. I do remember I didn't care for the songs though. But you're definitely right about Burton's problem being the lack of soul. They've just got this cartoonish goth thing that really bores me.

I probaby need to see 'Big Fish' again...I'd read the book before seeing the movie, and I think I was disappointed more by the movie because of it.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever watched all of "Edward Scissorhands", but to honor you and your softer side, I will. Kelly loves the thing.