Shrek

2001 animated feature

Rating: 12/20 (Emma: 15/20; Abbey 10/20)

Plot: Once upon a time, an ogre fighting gastrointestinal disorder finds friendship and true love. And they all lived happily ever after.

There's a fart joke one minute into this movie. Then, thirty seconds later, there's another fart joke. If the first two aren't enough, there's luckily a few more right around the corner. Whenever I think of Shrek, I think of fart jokes. I used to think of crap, but that's unfair. The movie isn't crap, but, despite a intriguing premise and a few good ideas, it really isn't much more clever than an 80 minute series of fart jokes. Oh, and pop songs. Fart joke, montage with a very loud pop song, fark joke, montage with a very loud pop song, fart joke. And so on. I don't really like the animation in Shrek. There's a plastic sort of ugliness that recalls the really cheap Barbie computer-animated things that those producers seemingly are able to crap out weekly that my daughter likes. Shrek has about four different facial expressions. I do like some of the settings that are created, but I think computer-animated settings were done much better in Ice Age. A lot of people like the characters in Shrek, but I don't think they're all that well rounded, definitely more types than actual flesh 'n' blood characters. I do think some of the voice talent is really good, especially Eddie Murphy. I realize that's part of the type since it's parodying fairy tales and the stock characters of fairy tales, but it still hurts the overall story and makes it feel a bit cold. There's a novelty in the first fifteen or so minutes, but the fairy tale allusions and pop culture references eventually wear thin. I really don't care much for the humor in Shrek either. I believe I laughed once while watching this the first time (the first scene with the Gingerbread Man), and I like the scene with Robin Hood until it begins parodying kung-fu movies and then just gets stupid. You also get some all-too-typical adult humor "hidden" throughout, but it's neither funny or appropriate. One of my gripes with Dreamworks animated movies is that they use that sort of humor (and maybe the loud pop music) to make these things enjoyable with adults. Pixar does it with heart, but heart is too difficult to pull off, I guess.

6 comments:

cory said...

A 12, huh? Humor is really subjective, so I don't know how hard to tangle with you on this.

I think the look is great. It is very creative and compliments the whole idea of a fairy tale. The voice work is great. The story is very original and subversive in a formerly traditional genre. The story was tight, and I thought the whole movie was very funny... even if you don't like a few fart jokes, there are 50 funny moments or lines in this movie. I don't know how to help you. A 17.

Shane said...

Oh, I know I'm in the minority on this one. And I don't think you'll be able to "help" me with this one. I didn't like 'Shrek' the first time I saw it, and I haven't liked it the other times my kids suckered me into watching it in its entirety (twice?) or in chunks since then.

Eddie Murphy is great. Lithgow is pretty good. The voice work with the minor characters, I guess, is fine. I don't care for Diaz (is that her?) or Myers though. Shrek's voice, especially after watching/hearing this movie a few times, just seems so performancy.

And a few fart jokes? The average human being farts 14 times a day. This 80-90 minute movie has at least 200 farts in it. That's just excessive.

Anonymous said...

i thought the adult humor was a little too adult. i've only seen the first shrek . i saw no reason to make more based on the quality of the first.

l@rstonovich said...

Shrek = Bleeeeeech.

(tips hat to Alfred E.)

Shane said...

See? And now I'm suddenly in the majority! Hooray!

Shane said...

Notice that Abbey also gave 'Shrek' a 10/20...if she gives anything less than a 20, you know a movie's gotta be bad.