Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son about His Father

2008 documentary

Rating: 15/20

Plot: Filmmaker Kurt Kuenne collects home videos and runs around the country collecting interviews following the murder of his childhood friend, Andrew Bagby. When suspect #1, former girlfriend Shirley Turner, reveals that she's pregnant with Andrew's baby, Kuenne decides to make his film a tribute to Andrew so that son Zachary can in some way know his father.

Spoilers, I guess. For the full effect, you should go into this knowing nothing. This is difficult to write about and was almost impossible for me to give one of my silly little ratings. I really couldn't stand the style of this documentary, and I thought it was really manipulative. The style was oppressive and distracting. There's too much going on at once a lot of times--rapid-fire interview clips, overlapping voices, really loud sound effects, shots of rain on windows or seagulls, sort-of reenactments, too-cute line repetitions ("He was never late" used when Andrew was late for a meeting and later for his birth), too much music. At times, the style is not only distracting but really tacky. It often seems like it's more about Kurt Kuenne than it is about Andrew or Zachary. However, the story is so absorbing, and the almost overwhelming amount of documentation here (the home footage Kuenne shot as a child, the police stuff, the "live" footage of Shirley interacting with Andrew's parents) gives such a complete picture of this story that you really feel like you're experiencing all this right along with Andrew's family and friends. It's shocking, and I broke down while watching it, had trouble sleeping that night, and couldn't stop thinking about it the next day. As the story unfolds right in front of Kuenne's camera, it hits you right in the gut, and I actually felt physically ill by the end of this. There's a point to all this pointlessness, and it's a point that is pretty well made. You do wind up hating the right people after all this is over, and I ended up with a desire to want to find Andrew's parents and give them a big hug. This is haunting, staggering, and absolutely devastating stuff, probably not for everybody.

Recommended by Cory, likely to get me back for my recommendation of The Grave of the Fireflies.

5 comments:

cory said...

I was hoping Jennifer would also see this, but you are right, it is probably not for everyone.

I can't disagree with your view of the "everything but the kitchen sink" film style, but I don't think of this as a typical documentary since the maker is so deeply emotionally involved, and while maybe not technically ideal, it worked at pushing every emotioanal button, for me.

This movie broke my heart, maybe more than any other I have ever seen, and I'm kind of sorry but glad it did the same for you. It took me a while to get over it, and it would take a stronger person than me to not tear up at several points while watching. It is as beautifully tender and as infuriarating (?) as a movie can be, and like "...Fireflies", I don't know if I could ever watch it again. It is unique, partly because events forced the maker to change his focus twice. It is the kind of film I want everyone to see (I'm working on Kelly), but I fear people might hate me for getting them to watch it. Thanks for giving it a try. I really liked your review. A 17.

A replacement on the lighter side is "Election".

Shane said...

Jen wasn't in the mood to watch a movie the other night, and I already had it in the player and was too lazy to get up and put something else in.

I'll try to get her to watch it though. She'll probably hate us both for it.

l@rstonovich said...

This movie has been sitting in my living room for weeks. Now I know why I was never in the mood to watch it. Damn.

I don't know how to rate it. I'm glad it's made. It's all a film maker friend could do as revenge.

Unknown said...

The events of this story are completely unfathomable.

Shane said...

I can't tell if you're skeptical or in shock, Thomas Watson.