Aguirre, the Wrath of God

1972 movie

Rating: 19/20

Plot: Mr. Aguirre leads an expedition with his pals to find gold. It's an almost identical plot to Disney's The Huffalump Movie except it takes place in South America in the 16th Century. And Tigger has been replaced with a crazy man.

Cinematic poetry! My favorite movies are those that are uncategorizable, and although Aguirre, the Wrath of God is very clearly a movie, it's just not a movie that is like a lot of other movies. Werner Herzog's penchant for filming in impossible locales and his eye for filming those locales very well makes the Peruvian rain forest just as important as any character in this thing. In fact, since you don't really get to see much of the natives who attack Aguirre and his posse, at times it almost seems like the conflict is with the setting. The location is hauntingly beautiful, violent, and lawless and adds to this mysterious feel that pervades the film. The wonderful Popol Vuh score also contributes to that feel. Herzog not only has an eye for filming on location, he's got a willingness to allow his camera to film happy accidents, to deviate from the script and allow some of the fringe details to evolve spontaneously. One of my favorite of these moments is an extended--and seemingly pointless--scene with a guy jamming on a pan flute thing while Aguirre stands next to him. He allows the story to meander, and the story, I think, is more mythic and more mysterious because of it. Klaus Kinski's performance is a scary one even though this isn't anything like a horror movie. He's the perfect picture of madness, delusional and paranoid and megalomaniacal. As I've probably typed in these pages before, it all starts with Kinski's eyes. But as Aguirre, he's required to do so much physically, like Nic Cage in the Bad Lieutenant movie. Aguirre often seems more insect than human, walking with an awkward limp and a hunched back and with an expression on his countenance that makes it look like his mind hurts. I love his performance here, and knowing a little of the legends behind the filming of it (see: My Best Fiend or watch Aguirre with Herzog's commentary) adds a new dimension. Herzog is always good with endings, and the denouement of Aguirre is memorable and moving, definitely one of my favorite movie endings ever. It's one of those cases where you think, "How was this even filmed?" but then you just stop thinking about it and decide to just be glad it was.


I don't want to alienate my four and a half readers, but I've thought about making a rule that there are certain movies you just have to watch if you want to read my blog. This would definitely be one of those movies. I've decided not to make that rule, by the way, but you should see this movie anyway so that you can see Klaus Kinski pick up a monkey. That's something that every cinemaphile needs to see.


6 comments:

l@rstonovich said...

I must see this on the big screen for the freaking amazing opening shot. My god. I'm sure the extras that are still alive are still talking about it. Maybe I'll just bring the DVD over to one of my friends with one of those fancy new 300" HDTVs.

cory said...

Kinski's is a great performance that drives this unique film. "Aguirre..." does a great job making you feel like you are there. The film was very effective in an almost tactile way at making me feel the difficulties, dangers, and adventures involved in being an explorer. It was much better than I expected. A 16.

Kairow said...

I always confuse Klaus Kinski and Klaus Nomi.

Shane said...

Larst: I should have mentioned the beginning, probably as impressive as the ending. Such beautiful shots, and as you're watching it, you're just thinking, "Wow! Somebody's going to die here."

Cory: "The difficulties, dangers, and adventures involved in being" AN INSANE MAN!

Kairow: I think I have a Klaus Nomi documentary on the blog. Either that or I saw it right before I started doing all this typing. I imagine Klaus Kinski would have bitten through Klaus Nomi's throat had they met...

Kairow said...

Oh, am I the half reader?

Shane said...

No. I just recounted and I think I have 6 1/2 readers now.

Why? Do you only half read?

Jen's my half reader. She's a notorious skimmer. She's subscribed but I've seen her fly past my blog entries in her Google reader thing, barely even glancing at the picture. "Half" is probably too generous.