Howard the Duck

1986 box office sensation

Rating: n/r (I couldn't finish it.)

Plot: A duck named Howard and his recliner is yanked from his planet and ends up in an alley somewhere in Cleveland. He meets a punk rock girl who takes him to a janitor to help him get back home. There's probably a bad guy later on, and I'm sure Howard has to try to phone home with a mouth full of Reece's. It's just another one of those cases where somebody has ripped off the plot of E.T. and managed to make an even more disagreeable movie.

The only movie I can think of that might be worse than a trip to Cleveland, Ohio. I watched this for three reasons:

1) I didn't think it could possibly be as bad as I remembered or as everybody seems to think.

2) If it is as bad as I remember or as everybody seems to think, it might fall into "good-bad" territory, and I could point and laugh at it.

3) I wanted to use a "quacking up" pun on the blog.

Unfortunately, it's not either of the first two. It's a terrible movie--poor writing, embarrassing effects, a main character who is impossible to like, auxiliary characters who aren't any better, an incoherent plot, dozens of details that date it--but it's nowhere near entertaining. It's excruciating, so excruciating that I gave up on it after Tim Robbins' second appearance. Like the majority of decisions in my life, the decision to watch Howard the Duck was a bad one, leaving me depressed and very unlikely to quack up any time soon.

6 comments:

Barry said...

Eh...it was a bad movie. I primarily remember it for being the only movie where Leah Thompson was actually sexy for a bit. She struts around in some sort of skin tight pants of an indeterminate 80's material I have not seen this film in at least 20 years, and I cant imagine going back to figure out if my youthful sexual attraction was good taste or bad taste.

Otherwise.....yeah it was bad then and its bad now.

cory said...

Barry, there is a movie called "All the Right Moves" you may want to see for an appreciation of Leah. I also liked her in "Some Kind of Wonderful", but I was a big Leah fan.

Barry said...

I remember All the Right Moves...saw it in the theater. Tom Cruise..Craig T. Nelson.


I dont remember Leah being anything outstanding in that. I think it was because she shows off a LOT of leg in Howard the Duck.


Otherwise she was just Michael J. Fox's mom to me.

Kairow said...

So continuing the thing where we debate the merits of the female star instead (or in spite of) the movie.....

Yes, she will always be Marty's mom, in a Stifler's mom kind of way.

Howard the Duck is horrible. The director/writer, Willard Huyck, also wrote "Temple of Doom". (Which brings up another ongoing theme) I really wish I didn't have to look that fact up. I hate my brain.

Kairow said...

Oh, 3/20 BTW

Anonymous said...

caroline in the city in her underwear. that has to be worth 5 or 6 points. it also has a midget.