Away We Go

2009 romantic comedy

Rating: 14/20 (Jen: fell asleep while we watched it, finished it the next day while I was at school, and then refused to rate it)

Plot: John and Maya, a seemingly happy couple happily living in sin, are expecting their first child. They convince themselves that they're not where they want to be to raise their child and go on a road trip all over America and Canada, meeting with friends and relatives to find the perfect place.

Cute little movie with likable leads and an assortment of quirky extras. I really want to call the movie "sweet" but I'm almost afraid that will offend the movie, and I wouldn't want that. John Krasinski is going to have a tough time shaking his character from The Office. Here, he plays a vulnerable guy, romantic in every sense of the word. It's not an entirely different character from his Jim but it's different enough, I guess. At least he's got a beard. Maya Rudolph--Minnie Ripperton's kid--is really good, too. She's not conventionally pretty, but she still exudes this cute vibe I kind of dig. She lacks a beard. Neither Krasinski or Rudolph over-do things here, and they bounce off each other naturally. The dialogue isn't natural at all, but I liked it. The movie was sneaky funny with the couple sort of playing straight man and woman to some terrifically goofy and sometimes terrible human beings. The majority of the side characters don't seem realistic at all, and it almost works to make the movie seem more like a parable than an attempt at verisimilitude. This movie's got its share of bigger names in some of those almost-cameo roles, and there are some very funny performances in there. I really liked what this movie had to say about trying to make it in a world that is kind of ugly, and I thought the ending really nailed it.

Kairow recommended this movie when we saw Jimmy Tupper vs. the Goatman of Bowie. And it's not even based on a comic book!

14 comments:

l@rstonovich said...

I didn't really enjoy this movie but the Maggie Gyllenthal (as established I have major crush) character cracked me up. So friggin' Portland hippy mom. The anti-stroller thing and "family bed" and then the freakout at the dinner table made this movie worth seeing for me.

cory said...

This is a very quirky, likeable film that doesn't try to do too much. John K can do no wrong in these nice guy roles. My only criticism would be over the contrived marriage issue plot point which I never really bought. A 15.

Kairow said...

Maggie G did kinda steal the show in this, but my unrequieted love for her adds to this.

I thought this was sweet, a little dark at times (Toronto), but the entire film was built on the strength of the supporting actors.

Shane said...

Two pros for Maggie G...I also think she's cute. Any dissenting opinions?

l@rstonovich said...

Kairow! High five. Been devoted to her since I saw her on Letterman promoting Secretary.

cory said...

Huh? I think Maggie Gyllenthal looks like sputum. Cute? One could argue Jake is cuter without being gay. My first issue is that I can't spell her freakin' name without looking it up first. I would say she is a good actress if I didn't imagine I was smelling petulie oil every time I watch her. I don't think it was a mistake that the "Dark Knight" makers offed her, but the mistake was not doing it sooner. I looked it up and there are exactly 318,286 professional actresses that are "cuter". I will admit only 714 are better actresses, though. She is perfect for this film and for a "indie"-only career.

l@rstonovich said...

Cory, I'm not surprised your taste once again aligns with "mainstream" America, all the Maggie haters who comment on every youtube clip and blog that features her. Referring to her as "sputum" fits right into that reactionary mind set. I can't spell her name either.

Patchouli? That I don't get.

I'm gonna go watch her in that wig in Donnie Darko Halloween scene to wash your lack of taste out of my brain.

Do let me know which actress you foster a fondness for so I can verify that we live on different planets. I bet she's blonde and has big boobies.

jennifer said...

i liked the movie, i didn't rate it because my viewing of it was interrupted too many times. i <3 maggie.

Kairow said...

My love for Maggie G started with "Stranger Than Fiction"

Cory,
Did you prefer Katie Holmes in the role?

cory said...

I saw patchouli and petulie online. Obviously I spell it as well as Gyllenthal. I had to confer with Kelly do find out what "i<3" meant, though now I am disturbed by other uses for a "3". Maggie is certainly doing fine and it's nice to see she has fans, but she is still not someone who would draw me to a movie, and I thought her casting in "The Dark Knight" as Holmes was just bizarre.

cory said...

Computer went weird. Maggie-bashing part 2:

Kairow brings up a good point. Holmes is certainly not one of the "714 actresses". Gyllenthal brought much more to the role, but I found it less believable that she was the love of Bruce Wayne's life or merited the Joker's "and you are beautiful" line (although his character was insane).

She was very good in "Sherrybaby" and "Crazy Heart", but I think there are some roles "mainstream America" and I just don't think she is physically right for. It is nice to get Larry fired up again, though.

l@rstonovich said...

Well considering many people say my wife looks a lot like Maggie you basically called my wife a less famous sputum.

I thought she did a bad job in batman.

Shane said...

Sputum.

Larst, your wife does look a little like Maggie G!

Quick confession: I already knew Cory's feelings about Maggie's looks before I asked for a dissenting opinion because of comments he made in 'The Dark Knight'...I knew this would be fun!

"Wash your lack of taste out of my brain..." Wow.

I do want to see that list of actresses, Cory...Larst asked politely enough!

cory said...

Yeah, I knew the "I also thinks she's cute. Any dissenting opinions?" was directed at me. I just wanted to give you your money's worth and to have a chance to use the word "sputum". I'll get right on that list.