Metropolitan

1990 sophisticated comedy

Rating: 15/20

Plot: Snooty socialites party lightly.

I think I watched this movie in four installments, but it didn't matter so much because it's episodic and disjointed anyway. This doesn't have a traditional plot or really even traditional character development. There's a romantic thread that runs through the "story," but most of this feels more like a narrative-free glimpse at these people who most people, I reckon, wouldn't like very much. I know I wouldn't want to hang with any of these people. Nothing was uproariously funny here, but that might be only because I don't understand irony. No, you had to watch this one with your pinky finger out. Still, the little side stories were humorous enough, and I like the flow that Whit Stillman creates for these characters. There's a rhythm to the film that is comfortable, but if I'm not in the right mood, I'd definitely want this to feel a little warmer. This isn't something I immediately want to watch again, but it is the type of movie you'd want to return to eventually, probably just to see if the characters are still as shallow or if they've somehow grown up a little bit. And possibly, I could watch it again in a few years as a gauge to measure how intelligent I've become.

That protagonist's hair was awfully red. I thought he was good, but I didn't recognize him and looked him up. Only one other film credit. In fact, it doesn't seem like any of the actors in this went on to do much of anything.

No comments: