Chasing Amy

1997 comedy

Rating: 12/20

Plot: A comic book artist falls for the titular lesbian.

Star Wars gentrification analysis, Archie and Jughead as lovers theorizing, and a Degrassi Junior High mention ("a weird thing for girls who say aboot") show a wide range of references, but this still is so locked in the 90s, one of my three or four least favorite decades. The dialogue doesn't ring true; it's Kevin Smith movie dialogue. His scripts always seem kind of half-assed to me, probably because he's a slacker. I thought Ben Affleck was likable even when his character wasn't, and his friend--played by Jason Lee, a guy with a voice that makes it automatically seem like he's overdoing things--is almost not distracting. What is distracting--and something that I couldn't get past--is the voice of Joey Lauren Adams. It completely ruins what would otherwise be a somewhat-enjoyable romantic comedy.

5 comments:

Barry said...

One of Kevin Smiths most annoying films.......the dialog and motivations of the characters is so juvenile and idiotic that it completely takes you out of the movie. I agree that Joey whatever whatever has a bad voice, but again its the writing and lack of any realistic themes that ruin this film. A 9 for me.......

cory said...

A 15 from memory, but I have the feeling I wouldn't like it as much today. I remember liking the leads and Adams' cuteness.

Shane said...

Hmm. I'm right in between you two.

I thought 'Red State' was a lot worse than this. I haven't seen most of Kevin Smith movies because I don't think I would like any of them.

Barry said...

I quite enjoyed Dogma....I find a lot of his movies hit and miss funny. Clerks, Mallrats, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Clerks II....they are all the exact same movie with occasional cameos by other actors.


I have a tough time with Smith because he seems so smart when you see him interviewed, but all he can write are one dimensional characters that do really stupid things. It just seems like there is a really brilliant funny film in the guy, and we are never going to see it.

Shane said...

I don't remember Dogma that well. I think I liked it ok but was probably offended.