Blind Chance


1987 drama

Rating: 16/20

Plot: A medical student, following his father's death, decides to drop out of school. He barely catches a train. Or he misses the train and ends up arrested. Or he misses the train and doesn't end up arrested.

What a poster!

I'm not all that familiar with the oeuvre of Krzysztof Kieslowski other than the "colors" trilogy, and I've always meant to catch up. Give me a break though because I've only been doing this blog for 9 years. Blind Chance, with its structure that inspired Run, Lola, Run and Sliding Doors, recalls my own alternate realities with this blog.

The moment when I decided to start a movie blog was a critical moment in time, and the first movie I wrote about after starting this blog was It! The Terror from Beyond Space. It didn't quite garner the attention that I figured it would despite being exquisitely written and insightful. But I trudged along, the time devoted to watching and writing about movies threatening my marriage and getting in the way of real life. And here I am nearly 3,000 blog entries later with nothing to show for it. I could blame It! The Terror from Beyond Space, I guess, but that doesn't seem fair. The decision has led me to this moment where I am just wasting my life away and writing to an audience that doesn't exist.

In an alternate reality, I'm not writing about this movie at all. Instead, I decided to start my blog off with a different movie--Mary Poppins. And because that particular movie makes me horny as hell and because I'm nothing if not an honest movie blogger, I wrote about my experience with Mary Poppins in the most graphic way imaginable. I wrote about how I had climaxed 3 1/2 times during the film and about how I couldn't stop leering at the woman playing Mary Poppins at Epcot Center the last time I was there. Disney got wind of the blog entry because they have their mouse eyes everywhere, and I was sued. The mouse has deep pockets, too. Their plan backfired, however, as attention was drawn to my blog and yours truly became an overnight sensation. Fans demanded perverse movie reviews, and I provided, soon becoming the most trusted movie critic not named Gene Shalit's Mustache.

And in a third reality, I wrote about Casablanca, gave the movie a 14/20, and was ridiculed by some chubby guy named Jimmy. I decided that I had no business writing about movies because I didn't really know what the hell I was talking about and gave up after the third entry, a write-up for the classic The Computer Wore Gym Shoes which I rated a 17/20. I devoted my time to watching The Andy Griffith Show and never watched a movie again, and the country philosophizing of the townsfolk of Mayberry made me a better husband, a better father, a better teacher, and a better human being. I also became a Communist.

It makes you think, doesn't it?

No comments: