Peter and the Farm


2016 documentary

Rating: 14/20

Plot: A guy is sick of his farm.

This story could be described as Sisyphean. Peter Dunning, in what is essentially a monologue extending over several months, talks about all the work he has to do on his idyllic farm in the hills of Vermont, but as the film progresses, he seems more and more depressed. Eventually, we learn that he is suicidal and has actually come to hate his life as a farmer.

It's not much different from most people's lives, I assume. Or maybe I'm just as bleak as this guy is.

I liked this documentary about as much as I could. I wished the filmmakers weren't so much of a presence, and there's part of me that wonders about their intentions. Shots on the farm were beautiful as this really is a place a lot of people would love to live in. Peter himself is an engaging fellow, and his shared philosophies show off a wisdom and ability to reflect that make him worth listening to.

It's just not a very happy documentary.

No comments: