Dunkirk


2017 war movie

Rating: 17/20 (Dylan: 16/20)

Plot: Trapped Allied soldiers try to escape the titular city as Germans try to kill them.

More war movie hero-making on the big screen, but this time, I felt the humanity a little more. This was a visceral experience. You feel the claustrophobia, the gunfire, the plane swoops, the motion sickness on boats, the water rushing into cockpits, and all the rest of the craziness of war. That Christopher Nolan can make a film, and in Dunkirk, he concocts this perfect marriage of visuals, sound effects, motion, and practical special effects to create what end up being the most intense army man action sequences I think I've ever seen.

I loved the structure, three converging stories that take place over a week, a day, and an hour.

Now I've developed a pain in my abdomen, likely the result of this blog. I asked Dylan to finish this, but he refuses. "I don't know what to say, Dad. It's your blog."

Even my family has turned against me. I'm damned to write these blog entries myself, I guess.

No comments: