Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2


2017 sci-fi superhero sequel

Rating: 11/20 (Dylan: 4/20)

Plot: Starfucker (or whatever his name is) meets his daddy.

Everybody seems to be trying very, very hard with this one. I enjoyed the first installment. It was goofy, and it didn't always make sense, but I liked it for the most part. This one I nearly hated.

Kurt Russell was a confusing addition, starting with a younger CGI version and ending with something that looked like outtakes from Lawnmower Man. As with Thor, there's some sci-fi spiritualism that muddies everything up. The action scenes are almost intolerably long. The tone is inconsistent, ranging from way too wacky to way too serious. The special effects are often a little ugly although some admittedly are creative and beautiful. The humor doesn't work very well. The music is oppressive. There are too many characters. And people love that baby tree far more than they should.

I'm in a terrible mood right now, likely because I'm being forced against my will to write blog entries about movies I don't even like.

No comments: