Perfect Blue


1997 anime

Rating: 15/20

Plot: A pop singer has a bit of a mental breakdown after leaving her group to pursue a career in acting.

This flows like an animated David Lynch movie. I'm not a fan of anime, but the style of the storytelling and the use of an unreliable narration keeps things interesting. It's definitely a very adult cartoon as there is a very graphic rape scene, so you should watch this with your seven-year-old daughter like I did.

I feel like I'd need to watch this again, get some more saliva in there in order to help unravel what is fantasy, hallucination, and reality in Mima's story.

This was directed by Satoshi Kon who made Paprika, another rare anime movie that I enjoyed, at least more than my brother did. I don't know. Maybe I would like anime more if I watched it more often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So in case you didn't get the ending

Mima's manager was the one who made the fake website that was filled with hate comments and was the one who impersonated her. My guess is it was out of jealousy (since she is young/attractive, therefore has more opportunities in the corrupt world of TV) while the manager is older.

https://filmcolossus.com/perfect-blue-movie-explained

Does this help?