The Shining (Redux)


1980 horror classic

Rating: 17/20

Plot: I already wrote about this movie right here, and the plot synopsis, in my opinion, is as good as it gets.

I got the chance to see this in a movie theater on my birthday, and I noticed that I didn't really give it a proper write-up when I saw it several years ago.

This probably won't be a very good effort either.

You know what I think I'm going to do? I think I'll do a numbered list. Those seem really popular.

1) This performance by Jack Nicholson might be my favorite performance of all time. I'm surprised he recovered.

2) I think this movie might have driven Shelley Duvall crazy.

3) I don't like the scene where Danny's finger keeps saying "Redrum!" in that weird voice.

4) Scatman Crothers has a sweet bachelor pad.

5) I really feel sorry for Scatman's character. He leaves that bachelor pad, flies from Florida to Colorado (Colorado, right?), drives that snow mobile thing hours to the hotel, and then gets axed in the chest and making the whole endeavor completely meaningless. What a way to go.

6) I know you think you've seen the scene with the guy in the bear/dog suit performing fellatio on the old gentleman, but you haven't seen that scene until you've seen it on the big screen. I might have left my seat in the theater and cheered. I can't remember.

7) What a terrific score, perfectly complimenting the unsettling quality of the visuals and slow-burn of Nicholson's unhinging.

8) What are the best movies about writer's block? The Shining, Barton Fink? I know I had another in my head earlier.

9) I really wanted to make this a list of ten things, but I'm struggling here.

10) My friend Josh sent me a link to this article several months ago. I had it in mind as I watched this time, and It's hard to argue with what the author is saying.

No comments: