The Corpse Grinders


1971 crappy horror movie

Rating: 4/20

Plot: A doctor and nurse, who decide that detective work is more important than their doctor and nurse work, try to find out what's behind an epidemic of feline violence.

I'm working on my masters in Bad Movies, but watching The Corpse Grinders shows how much I have to learn. It's not that it's not quality good-bad movie fun or anything. No, it's that I watched this as a continuation of my Ray Dennis Steckler Fest, but Steckler has nothing to do with it. Whoops!

This was directed by Ted V. Mikels from an Arch Hall Sr. script. Or maybe calling it a "script" would be more accurate for the guy responsible for Eegah. I'll have to check one of my Bad Movie textbooks.

Despite the lack of Steckler, I'm not disappointed that I watched this. Persistent cats, cat attacks featuring the special effect known in inner-circles as "hurling a cat at an actress," the really gross output from the grinding machine, a gravedigger who looks a little like Rupert from Survivor (who I know as the reality show contestant who ran for office here in Indiana), the gravedigger's wife who looks like she stumbled out of a John Waters' movie and who carries a doll around with her for reasons that are never explained, a laughing mortician, a deaf woman who appears to be using nothing even close to real sign language, the wooden creaking sound that accompanied the opening of an iron gate, and a doctor and nurse who can apparently leave the hospital at any time to investigate potential criminal activity and who also have books about cats at their workplace.

My favorite acting in this was from Charles Fox. I've seen all of Charles Fox's credited roles, but unfortunately that's just this and The Undertaker and His Pals. Here, he's Charles "Foxy" Fox, a decision that likely didn't help his chances of winning an Academy Award.


No comments: