The Fairy


2011 rom-com

Rating: 15/20

Plot: A hotel desk clerk meets and falls in love with a fairy.

What a kooky delight! I had seen Dominique Abel and Fiona Gordon before in L'Iceberg, another whimsical romantic comedy that pays tribute to silent comedians like Keaton, Chaplin, and Tati. I didn't think to look up anything else that they had done. In fact, I think I was too busy trying to watch 365 movies that year I started blogging that I didn't even realize they were married and worked together all the time. They have that ability to be fleshy cartoon characters. They're pliable and acrobatic, and although neither one of them is what you'd call conventionally attractive, there's a sexiness in this rapport that they have. A dance scene underwater and an escape from a hospital are standouts, but this movie put a smile on my face from beginning to end and made me laugh quite a bit.

Recommended for folks who enjoy really silly French romantic comedies. You know who you are.

No comments: