The Five Obstructions

2003 documentary

Rating: 16/20

Plot: Pretentious filmmaker Lars von Trier challenges pretentious filmmaker Jorgen Leth to remake five times a short film called The Perfect Human from 1967. Before Leth runs off to do so, however, Trier gives him obstructions--no shot more than 12 frames, for example. The maid wonders which one ejaculated on the linoleum.

Fascinating look at the creative process unfortunately with a twat count that breaks springs on the geiger counter in my neighbor's walk-in closet. The dialogue between the two is often over my head, and I wonder about those subtitles. The original The Perfect Human was fun enough, jerky and pretentious, and each of the five remakes (four actually since von Trier takes on the last one in a difficult-to-swallow display of grandiosity) delivers. The first obstruction brought giggles, the second nearly made me cry, the third made me cough until I started bleeding from the nose, and the fourth (animated) one gave me a seizure. Perfect case of something I can't completely understand because I'm not smart enough and don't own a bowtie but could still appreciate. Good stuff and oddly inspiring. It inspired me to put my hand firmly down the front of my pants! Booyah!

The seventh obstruction:

No comments: