The Simpsons Movie

2007 comedy

Rating: 13/20 (Dylan: 11/20; Emma: 10/20; Abbey 20/20)

Plot: Pretty much the same as most episodes of the television show--Homer makes a big mistake and then the family has to scramble to fix things. This time, Homer doesn't give a hoot, pollutes, and causes the EPA to put a giant dome over Springfield. The rest of the Springfieldians grab their pitchforks and torches to throw down on the responsible family, but they manage to escape and head for safe Alaska. Homer later must return to save both the town and his family.

This was just like the typical episode of the show stretched into 90 minutes. Not a bad episode with lots of funny moments and probably too many current pop references. It was pretty much exactly what was expected with only the occasional annoyances--some pandering to Simpsons fans and some look-at-what-we-can-do-cause-it's-not-on-television stuff. There's no way it couldn't be self-referential and the show is satirical, so I'm not sure how I can complain about that. I could probably complain about Spiderpig, but the seven year old inside me really thought that was funny. I would have liked to see more of the minor characters. They all just sort of popped in and out to deliver their one or two lines. In fact, I'd like to see an entire movie with just Lenny and Carl. It could be just like Midnight Cowboy. But I digress. This is the type of movie where you're really digging the first 30 minutes but then you only sort of enjoy the second 30 minutes and then you keep looking at your watch for the final 30 minutes. Quite possibly the longest credits I've ever seen by the way.

Look! I'm enjoying myself!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great review. I was pretty disappointed. I believe for the first 10 years of 'The Simpsons' it was the greatest TV series ever and I would prefer almost any of those episodes over this movie. It is still 'The Simpsons', so it is very watchable and gets a 14, but against the higher standard it would be a 10.

Shane said...

I'm not exactly a Simpsons aficionado, so I don't distinguish between the seasons...some of the episodes I like, and some of them I don't. I've always argued that the show hasn't lost all that much in recent seasons, but I don't really know what I'm talking about.

But yeah, if you're going to put the Simpsons on the big screen, you might as well really take your time and make it nearly perfect.