Ambush at Blood Pass

1970 samurai movie

Rating: 14/20

Plot: A ronin-with-no-name (a "yojimbo" quite possibly the same character as in the Kurosawa film of the same name) is hired by a slimy fellow to make his way to Blood Pass and "wait for something to happen." Mifune's character accepts. He goes to the place. he waits. Things happen.

More action and strewn limbs are required for Samurai Friday! I may have to go with Kung-Furiday next school year, but I'm afraid I'd be fired for a bad pun. This was a fine samurai flick though with both Mifune and the guy who plays Zatoichi, the latter with a really interesting character. This has twists and turns--a really convoluted and hard-to-follow plot--so enough is happening to make up for the lack of sword on sword action. The mountain setting also gives you enough to look at when nothing else is going on.

Sad side note: I remember watching Hiroshi's samurai trilogy a while back but remember absolutely nothing about it. I think there's something wrong with my mind.

I watched this while wearing a tie and eating ice cream. Unfortunately, there's no photographic proof.

No comments: