Buster Keaton Saturday: Go West

1925 comedy

Rating: 15/20 (Abbey: 20/20; Jen: 19/20 [actually, she fell asleep and missed the last third of the movie]; Emma: 17/20; Dylan: 9/20)

Plot: Down on his luck, penniless, and lonely Friendless roams the country in search of a place where he is wanted. Or at least needed. He rides the rails to the West and winds up completely out of his element on a ranch working as a cowboy. He befriends a cow named Brown Eyes and does the best he can. But trouble's afoot as a neighbor and rival rancher threatens to stop a shipment of Friendless's employer's steer to the stockyards. Can Buster save the day? It's the 1920's! Of course he can!

From guest blogger Emma: "My favorite part is when Buster tries milking the cow. I like cows. They're my favorite animal. Buster's funny. When's the next Buster Keaton Saturday?"

From guest blogger Jen: "I'm sorry but I was uncomfortable. I stayed awake for most of it."

From me: The climax of this involves a stampede through the streets of Los Angeles. Buster leads the way in a costume that makes it all so exquisitely absurd that it leaves no questions about why the surrealists were fans of Keaton's work.

No comments: