Forgetting Sarah Marshall

2008 romantic comedy

Rating: 7/20

Plot: Heartbroken composer Peter Bretter takes a trip to Hawaii to try to forget his actress girlfriend Sarah Marshall. She happens to be there with her new rock star boyfriend which makes things difficult.

This wasn't funny. And I can find no reason why Jason Segel's penis needs to be on the screen multiple times. I guess you know you're in trouble when the best thing about the movie is Billy Baldwin. These movies from the guys who brought us The 40-Year-Old Virgin are getting tired. I did appreciate the puppets near the end though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I have to agree on the penis issue. I can understand the point of the first penis scene (no penis-pun intended) where there is humor in totally naked dumped guy giving a bare-hug to Bell, but I draw the line right there. Maybe this "How I Met Your Mother" guy will be like Ewan MaGreger(?) and be contractually allowed to show his dick in every movie.

Beyond this distastful issue though, I thought this was a very funny movie with very likeable and appropriately unlikable characters. Comedy is a taste thing, but anyone who has been dumped should be able to sympathize. I think it is the tightest and most enjoyable Apatow related film since "40 Year-Old Virgin". A 16.

Shane said...

If Billy Baldwin wasn't in the movie, I wouldn't have laughed a single time. Even with Billy Baldwin, I only sort of laughed.

Did you see the 'Dewey Cox' movie? That's by far my favorite Apatow-related movie. I didn't care for 'Virgin' or really any of the others I've seen. I guess I thought 'Superbad' was funny enough. I liked the t.v. show 'Freaks and Geeks' a lot, probably because it wasn't allowed to have displays of penis.

Anonymous said...

I have seen "Dewey Cox" and liked it (about a 14). I did think it was a structurally boring film by it's nature since it was just one continous parody of one music cliche after another. I liked "Virgin" and "Superbad" a little more because they surprised me and their humor was fresher (although more vulgar and hit-or-miss). I guess I thought "FSM" was just a little sweeter and easier to relate to the characters.

Apatow list:
1. Forgetting Sarah Marshall- 16
2. 40 Year-old Virgin-15
3. Superbad-14
4. Dewey Cox-14
5. Knocked Up-12
6. Pineapple Express-7