Monster A Go Go

1965 travesty

Rating: 1/20

Plot: An astronaut is sent into space to do something. When he returns, his vessel crashes into a field and he somehow (blame radiation, I guess) transforms into a ten-foot tall monster. He go-goes around the field killing people.

I had a mass media class in high school, and one of our assignments was to make a movie. I storyboarded a clumsy avant-retard quasi-satirical story, gathered a few friends together, and made my masterpiece. Ok, I'm not bragging or anything, but I did get an A after turning in something that I believe is a slightly better movie than Monster A Go Go. Monster A Go Go might be the worst movie I have ever seen, and I can't believe it was made in the 1960s. It actually looks like it could have been made in the 1860s. It also looks like it might have been made by people who have never seen a movie before and aren't quite sure what they look like. The level of ineptitude reaches, heck maybe even surpasses, Manos: The Hands of Fate or The Beast of Yucca Flats levels. It's hard to see, it's hard to hear, and it's hard to even stay awake enough to figure out what the heck is going on. With a title like Monster A Go Go, I expected this to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek and corny, but it's about the stiffest, dullest thing I've ever seen. There's a ton of talking in this movie, from the boring conversations the scientists are having to the narrator who sounds like an old-timey newscaster, another thing it has in common with Yucca Flats. The monster is on the screen for less than a minute, and his mutilatin' is described after the fact by the narrator instead of being seen. That sure manages to suck any chance for drama or tension right out of this thing. The monster sort of looks like a ten-foot tall James Taylor at the beginning and a bald, flaky thing at the end. One thing it has in common with the movie I made in high school--Halfway through my production, every single member of my cast left or refused to participate any longer. I was forced to shoot the rest of the movie on my own without any actors. It wasn't easy. It seems that the same thing happened to the makers of Monster A Go Go as main characters either look completely different or drop entirely out of the movie altogether. The music was also terrible. If I had had a Casio in high school, I might have thought about scoring my movie despite not knowing anything about music. Well, I'm pretty sure that's what they did for this movie, too. It sounds like a chicken playing instruments at times. This doesn't have any of the magic of Manos: The Hands of Fate, so I can't recommend it. The best thing about the movie is its title, and when that title is Monster A Go Go, you know know you're in trouble.

2 comments:

cory said...

Do you have Turner Classic movies? I could swear this was just on that channel.

If you don't have it, I totally recommend getting it. It would be a great supplement to your new Netflix membership.

Shane said...

Currently, we have no stations at all. I'm not sure there is any way we can pay and get a single station.

Turning our television on and watching a blank screen would be about as exciting as 'Monsters A Go Go'...Did I forget to mention the awesome plot twist at the end? There's a plot twist but no plot!