Rodan

1956 flying monster movie

Rating: 11/20

Plot: Coal-miners in a small Japanese village disturb and accidentally unleash killer giant caterpillars. Upon deeper investigation, they discover a new terror--gigantic Pterodactyls capable of knocking over toy cars and destroying vacant toy cities. Can they stop the beasts before everything is blown over?

Quick question: Should I be watching the Japanese or English versions of these movies?

I didn't dig this one as much as Monster Zero although the story is easily more coherent. It just lacks the complete mayhem and entertaining goofiness of Monster Zero. The special effects in this range from really really good and nearly seamless to completely laughable. This has such a conventional storyline, and I was really disappointed in how little Rodan actually did. He flew around a couple few times, blew over some motor vehicles, screeched like an airplane, and made some Japanese women scream. On a good night, I'm capable of at least two of those! The climax was a major disappointment--about 20 minutes of explosions while Rodan and his girlfriend cowered in holes. Although Rodan won't be one of my favorite movie monsters (he's sort of dull actually), this was still pretty enjoyable. I did, by the way, watch the American version, and the really poor dubbing probably delivered the majority of the fun.

A Cory recommendation.

3 comments:

cory said...

You are a funny man. I agree with a lot of your review and this still gets a 19 from me! I think because it is the only Japanese giant monster movie that has any real drama or realistic tension. The scenes in the mines where there is a mystery as to what is killing people was very effective at entertaining kid-Cory. Rodan really doesn't have the charisma of the other big guys, and the ending is a bit of a letdown, but I will always love this film in spite of its flaws.

Your replaceent is "Dead of Night", an Ealing Studios horror film from 1946... I'll give you a monster movie break for a while.

Shane said...

You didn't answer my question re: Japanese vs. American versions. Gotta say though that I do think the dubbing adds to the experience.

I like these Japanese monster movies. I'll try to type up my thoughts on 'Gargantuas' which I loved a little later on.

You are right about the mine scenes. I thought those were very well done.

'Dead of Night' for whatever reason was on my "to see" list anyway. I'll have to work to hunt it down though. It seems my library's copy is "missing" or something.

cory said...

Mine was dubbed. That is one of the MANY great things about these movies... dubbing can't hurt them a bit. It makes them better! I'm happy this wasn't a waste for you.

By the way, congrats in advance!!!!