All about Eve

1950 best picture

Rating: 17/20 (Jen: 16/20)

Plot: Aging Margo Channing is a freaky bug-eyed alien from the planet Bettedavis who is posing as a Broadway superstar but has plans to take over the world with her alien pals. She's managed to fool everybody around her--Bill, her dopey producer and boyfriend; writer Lloyd and his wife Karen; her assistant Birdie; thousands of admiring fans. The government suspects that something is up, however, and sends an undercover agent named Eve to befriend Margo and stop her before it's too late.

This movie is too long. It's very well written, but it's hard not to watch this without thinking about how written it is. The dialogue never seems natural. And Anne Baxter's Eve is really a pretty weak character, probably because of the dynamic and more flamboyant character Bette Davis plays. Baxter does innocence just fine here, but there's nothing about her performance that makes me believe she's really manipulative or hungry for fame. I guess that might be the point since the other characters (other than Birdie) don't see it either. Having said all that, the good stuff far outweighs the bad with All about Eve. That aforementioned dialogue is literary and witty and sharp. Lots of lines, especially Margo's but also Addison Dewitt's, have just enough bite. There's also the right amount of humor beneath all the drama. I didn't laugh out loud though. The performances are great, the actors bouncing off one another and blending into the story so naturally. I like the structure of the story. There's the revelation right at the beginning that Eve is a snake. I like how instead of the narrator telling us that, we see it in the actors' faces at the awards ceremony. And I like how there's gradual suspicion about her intentions building up to Margo's drunken breakdown at her boyfriend's birthday party. That entire party scene is terrific. I also love the final scene with the mirrors. Sunset Boulevard should have won best picture, but this is still pretty good.

2 comments:

cory said...

I can't find fault with your review, or your respect for "Sunset Boulevard". That is also a great movie.

I am a sucker for great dialogue and character conflict and this film is one of the best. I admit it can feel a little stagey and there are a lot of little speeches, but for me it is a little like growing accustomed to an accent or Shakespeare, where you can get used to it and the believability remains. Or, I could use the Hulot defense and say I like the staginess and that's what makes it great.

Two standouts: Marilyn Monroe is at her most attractive and enjoyable in a small, showy part. As always, I also love George Sanders. His Addison DeWitt is one of my favorite movie characters and his killer-to-killer scene with Baxter is one of my all-time favorite scenes. Any movie he is a part of gets a 2 point Sanders bonus from me. This has been one of my 20 favorite movies for 20 years so I give it a 20.

Cory's "evolved" list for Shane.
1. Paths of Glory
2. The Blue Angel (German version)
3. (new) The Long Good Friday (British mob movie)
4. The Quiet Man
5. People Will Talk

I look forward to Watching "Le Samourai" tomorrow night.

Shane said...

You'll have to make sure you throw 'The Long Good Friday' in the Recommendations comments so winter rates will be aware of it.

I actually tried to watch 'The Long Good Friday' some time last year...it was due back at the library (requested, so I couldn't renew it) and I started it really late one night and couldn't finish it. Nothing about the first part of the movie made me want to remember to check it out again though...